📖 Day 11 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - PRANAYAMA (Breathwork)

I have been introduced to several pranayama techniques in my Iyengar and other yoga classes over the years. I love that it’s a healing and centering practice that requires no special tools, it’s always available to you.

Huberman is a.w.e.s.o.m.e. I have learned so much from him and I’m grateful to him for that. He has a gift to explain complex neurologic/medical science for the masses, without judgement. He just puts it out there, you decide what you want to do with the info. Thank you for sharing Tony. :grinning:

1 Like

I really love pranayam. I had a little experience with it before, but when I completed my yoga teacher training course in India we did pranayam daily and I learned so much, it was one of my favorite aspects of the course. It’s incredibly powerful. I’m really excited to take up the curriculum RD laid out for us in this lesson.

2 Likes

For me to get this, I’ll probably do a retreat or class.

As a side note though, in the past when I have meditated, I FORGET to breathe. Being in such a calm state means I have to remind myself to breathe. Is this common?

1 Like

I’ve experienced this. Often as I get more relaxed my body’s use of oxygen seems to become more efficient. I pause without realizing it, only becoming aware as I begin to draw in my next breath.

1 Like

I’ve experienced this too Rea! During meditation I dont seem to need to breathe as much, it’s interesting

1 Like

Hello beautiful people :hugs:

I have done some breathe work … However, not like this…

This practice is more intentional and I get witness the energy flowing into the spine…

I definitely need more practice but an amazing tool to add to my practice…

Even on my first try I feel a difference. A sense of calmness… There’s mindfulness to my breathing :face_exhaling:

Loves :two_hearts:

:balloon:

1 Like

Yes, I have done different breathing practices in groups (hah, imagine that) and as with all other practices, I have not engaged on my own (except for two 1-year periods of time or multiple short periods).

I just did the first breathing practices with Ram Dass and would like to experiment with feeling the breath/energy going down my spine, across, and back up with the alternate nostril breathing. There are so many other things I want to do with my time! Perhaps this is an early morning practice I can attempt by myself, or maybe talk someone into doing it with me.

i am experiencing/participating for the second time in a class called “God is Breath” and there are several breath practices which we are all supposed to be doing on our own. Closing off all the sense organs and breathing in, out, and holding to a specific count. Closing off those internal muscles is new to me today.

1 Like

I use to include this in my meditations years ago when I forts got back from India. Thanks for the great reminder to start these again.

So the timing of this one is incredible!

On Saturday (the day of this topic) I attended a yoga teacher CPD day all about breath.

So, aside from my regular practice, I spent an entire day connecting to my breath and experiencing all of the natural highs and the sense of freedom that awareness of breath so freely bestows.

Day to day, I love box breathing. I love playing with the count. I am amazed how some days I can hold for what seems like forever, while on others I am almost out of breath.

I also enjoy breath of fire, and nothing clears my mind like nadi shodhana.

One of my teachers reminded me recently of the amount of phrases we have about breath:

“you took my breath away”
“let me catch my breath”
“I need a breather” etc…

and it is almost immediately obvious how crucial the breath is. We know this. Not only is it crucial and basic, but it’s also luxurious. And always free. It is never withheld.

We breathe thousands of times a day, but how many are we ever really conscious of? Even with our practice?

I know that I still have to remind myself— all of the time, more or less— about the connection that is always there, always available to me: the anchor that is my breath.

2 Likes