šŸ“– Day 7 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - JNANA (The Rational Mind)

Love this Pamela. The idea that even paradox puts us in a place. And yes, it sounds easy but the actually experience of itā€¦you speak into it so well. Totally feel it! I bet almost all of us here do!!

2 Likes

Yepā€¦do you have that experience when you end up on both sides of a situation. In relationship 1 I was on side A and in relationship 2 I was on side B. Itā€™s always a cosmic giggleā€¦and a little annoying!

2 Likes

LOL! Totally!

2 Likes

I do! Itā€™s kinda wild :exploding_head:

I honored my thoughts more as I could see the two sides. Instead of brushing them away, welcoming them and finding common ground and understanding. :pray:

1 Like

To me it doesnā€™t really feel like too much of a paradoxā€¦ on one level, where Iā€™m playing the game as this personality, yes itā€™s definitely helpful and a great goal to befriend my own mind and learn to be gentle with myself, as Angela (I also have fun psychoanalyzing myself and understanding where all my patterns and beliefs came from, but thatā€™s just the psychologist in me :grin:). At the same time I can identify with the awareness watching the whole thing, instead of identifying as this personality. Itā€™s just a matter of remembering to do this all at once :slight_smile: thatā€™s the challenge, I jump back and forth and slowly over time Iā€™m spending more time identifying with the witness instead of being lost in the personality. itā€™s a fun game to play though, I mean, what else is there to do? :joy:

4 Likes

Haha to be clear: this ā€œsits with meā€ in a corner, waiting for the day when I can comprehend it. Jacquelyn says I can keep working, and maybe someday Iā€™ll get it and maybe someday I wonā€™t. [How am I doing so far? :-/ ]

Iā€™ll be patient. Thank you for those comforting words, Jacquelyn.

2 Likes

I find in an attempt not to identify with my thoughts, they end up being kinder. So many times when Iā€™m frustrated or wrapped up in something and a negative thought dances through my head, Iā€™ll think ā€œIā€™m mad at myself.ā€ I step back and think ā€œwhoā€™s mad at me? Who is the person Iā€™m being mad at, and who is creating this thought?ā€

When I reflect on answer to all those three questions is no one at all, I can let go of my attachment from the thought and let it float by. My ego tries to grab hold of it, but it loses itā€™s power as soon I stop grasping.

2 Likes

Oh wow - todayā€™s lesson is deeply resonating in my bones. This paradox has me smiling at my computer screen right now. Understanding how our thoughts work is absolutely paramount in humans moving along the upward spiral of well-being. At an intellectual level, that makes sense although I am afraid not too many people take the time to deeply sit with and contemplate this. So many shiny distractions in our material world to keep us occupied, I suppose!

I feel like I intellectually understand the paradox, but embodying this on the spiritual plane is more challenging. I am grateful for Ram Dassā€™s technique that he shared in the lesson today to work with the mind to ultimately transcend the mind. Thatā€™s all I want at the moment!

3 Likes

Namaste Debra: I watched my beloved sister-in-law lose to alzheimers at the young age of 68 - how her beloved husband tended to her so lovingly. My 90 year old mom has dementia, somewhat knows her mind is jumbled, accepts it and sings or recites words from songs ā€¦ she says ā€œI can not keep things straight in my mind, what is ā€˜realā€™ or dreamā€ We laugh and enjoy each moment to moment. Mom loves playing her piano and says her fingers know the tunes. I feel sadness at times for the loss of my vibrant mom when she drifts off. My heart goes out to you Debra and all caregivers.

2 Likes

Love this!!! Yes! What else is there to do? I mean I could just obsess and take it all so seriously. I meanā€¦that is mostly what I do! Butā€¦itā€™s so nice to be reminded of how futile that is! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Doing GREAT!!!

Such a helpful practice! Thank you for sharing this!!

Right?! To get out of the minds incessant chattering!!! Ohā€¦sooo.

So many shiny things! Perhaps all part of the upward moving spiral! I love that phrasing!! And so it is!!

This is so deeply touching. Thank you for sharing. And so many blessings to you and your motherā€¦and all of us on that path - either personally or as the caretaker. :heart: :heart: :heart:

As far as jnana yoga, I learned a type of meditation, in a non dual advaita type path, from students of Yogi Shyam, who has passed. It extricates oneself from the I thought. As far as unworthiness and self-criticism, Iā€™m not sure that is an issue for me.

1 Like

love these, thanks! :sparkles:

1 Like

Thanks for this Tony. Do you happen to have awareness of the differring physical experiences that come with things being unconsciously conscious or consciously conscious? And if so, might you be willing to share?

1 Like

Thank you for reading and for the question! Iā€™m not totally sure if I understand your question on being aware of the differing physical experiences, but letā€™s see what happens.

Our physical body and physical reality our bodies are in is a tremendous tool to work through when going from separateness to oneness. Although, I understand this physical realm to be either created by the mind or interpreted by the mind.

I believe I was referring to my state of unconsciously conscious as having an idea or theory on whatā€™s going on but not able to understand fully or embody this belief. Once I had my realization (first hearing Ram Dassā€™s words on BHNN) I spontaneously understood.

It was going from a one pointed consciousness and belief that I was just a person in the world with roles and stuff to work on, to unconditional loving awareness. So for example, instead of seeing the judgments Tony was making on people and situations in his life as truth, I saw them as relatively true. I was able to shed the negativity towards myself and my loved ones which was preventing me from embracing the relationships which were important to me. In this way, my physical standpoint became less important than the way I was interacting with the world. There was lightness in the body. I was able to communicate clearer what was inside.

I am still very much aware of my physical body and desires and aversions. It does feel less important to me now though. :heart:

1 Like

Oh yes. Thatā€™s well answered. Thanks a million for putting so much effort into explaining.

The idea of an idea being unconsciously conscious is justā€¦ I canā€™t find the word I wantā€¦ enthralling. Iā€™m looking forward to playing with that idea myself now.

1 Like

I agree Pamela. And I would add that my experience is that being a good friend to my thoughts is the same practice as not identifying with themā€¦

But, letting go of the need to know, I have to sit on my hands and put on a muzzle!!