Favorite Books?

What other Ram Dass books have you liked?

3 Likes

Polishing the Mirror, and Paths To God!
Would love a new suggestion for what to read next?!?

3 Likes

Grist for the Mill was a fun read. And the book that came out after he left the body, Being Ram Dass, which is his autobiography, put together by Rameshwar Das. Fascinating look into Ram Dass’ life both before and after his stroke.

4 Likes

Sounds fascinating! Thank you.

2 Likes

My preferred way to “read” is audio books. My favorite is the “Love, service, devotion and the ultimate surrender” on Audible. It’s so rich. It’s to do with the Bhagavad Gita which led me to read the Bhagavad Gita.

Like the other reply mentioned, Being Ram Dass is also wonderful. I love Ram Dass so dearly, and this book let me get to know him better.

2 Likes

Currently working through Paths to God. I gift it to people for birthdays/holidays. Excellent book.

2 Likes

I’ve only read Be Here Now at this juncture

2 Likes

The most profound one I’ve read as of late is “I Am That” by Sri Nisargadatta. It has really afforded me some insight into my own practice and the way i view things. Now I’m working on Talks with Ramana Maharshi which is also fantastic. Highly recommend both.

3 Likes

May anyone here recommend a great translation of the Bhagavad Gita?
Or, which one would Ram Dass have recommended? Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

I like the Gita translation by Eknath Easwaran, but I’ve also enjoyed others.

I too am curious which translation Ram Dass would have recommended.

1 Like

He used one from India, by a spanish author, that is now out of print. For the course we used the Eknath Easwaran best-selling translation as it is reliable, readable, and profound.

2 Likes

Reading be here now, but particularly enjoyed reading the article - egg on my beard. Humble and enlightening about the practice.

1 Like

I heard Krishna das mention that he loves the “yoga of the bhagavat Gita” by Krishna Prem. It’s on my list to buy

2 Likes

I loved Grist for the Mill. Lots of stuff in there I’ve never seen/heard anywhere else…the stuff about relationships, divorce, and childbirth were all kinda Ram Dass deep cuts.

2 Likes

I have read Paths to God and love it.

Not strictly Ram Dass books but also wonderful- Whisper in the Heart & Miracle of Love about Maharaji; The Four Agreements by toltec by Don Miguel Ruiz (super short easy read); The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho; Hidden Messages in Water by Masaru Emoto; Poems by Hafiz and Rumi; Mirror of Simple Souls by Marguerite Porette; You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh; Mary Magdalene Reveled by Meggan Watterson; and some random black covered book found at a second hand bookstore many years ago sharing the teachings of Buddhism :laughing:

2 Likes

“Think Like a Monk”, by Jay Shetty, is a good primer on mindfulness in the modern world. It’s a New York Times Best seller which hopefully means more souls are embracing mindfulness! I’ve been mentioning this book to my circle of peeps that are not necessarily into meditation etc.

1 Like