Heartfulness Course - Day 6 - Ineffable experiences

LOL! What a great example! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Right?!?!? Such an important reminder for the householders in the group!

2 Likes

Go to your teachable, and at the top under each week is a tab for “Zoom link: Monday Dharma Talk.” Click there before the meetings to join the call, or after the meetings for the rewatch.
HOpe that helps.

What a great story! And great metaphor! AND Great suggestion. Thank you Zach!!!

2 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I live in a pretty big city.
I had become quite hardened to the sight of suffering houseless people and was raised to fear them.
Handing out cash generally doesn’t feel like what I can/should do but I was facing some guilt over doing nothing at all.
One simple practice I began as an attempt to override my training, but which resulted in a huge heart opening is just to simply make eye contact and smile at the folks, often rolling down my window if I feel so called, to say, “hi” or perhaps “I’m sorry I don’t have anything to share right now.”
I emphasize eye contact and smile, sometimes engaging in a short conversation.
The response is often really beatiful and heartening.
It brought to my attention and greatly narrowed my perception of them and myself as separate entities from different worlds.

For the record, I eventually started carrying little bags of non-perishable food items to share when I’m able, keenly aware I’m doing it to satisfy my own ego, who hates to say no. But I know this “selfish” gesture isn’t hurtful so I still do it when I can, and it’s often a lovely excuse to engage/ connect.
My favorite instance of this was when I handed a bag to a girl for the second time in a couple weeks (they’re always about the same, a tuna packet, crackers, fruit cup, granola bar). She recognized it and said, “do you carry these just for me?” I said “I carry them in case I run into ANYONE I love who is hungry” and I got to see her smile for the first time.

5 Likes

Here is an example of me practicing self compassion: I try to start the day with a nidra and some Reiki before I get up. I also drink water and do asana a bit before I meditate. I may read a little something meaningful- then have tea and walk my dog. Setting that tone in my body and creating space in my mind first thing is kind of a biggy for me. Yet, sometimes, I need to sleep longer or I am anxious and go right into quick thoughts, things come up and that routine is not what happens. When it goes like that- I just let it go into it. I watch myself go there. I use that experience sadhana without judgement. Like the other day, I did not sleep all too well. So of course my last few hours of sleep before waking were amazing. I woke at my normal time, and began my routine and just checked in - I really needed more sleep. So I decided to sleep for my body. I went about my day and there were somethings I did not get to because of the schedule change and it bothered me here and there. Doing the best I could. I would remind myself there was no judgement and it was what it was and that is okay, all is fine. These things are a work in progress for me.

3 Likes

My toolbox includes

• working with animals from their perspective, to help the humans who own them understand them. Specifically I love working with horses. I was raised by the horses and they live such miserable lives in the human model. Seeing a horse release tension, seeing them connect to their person, feeling their big hearts connect to mine.
    -yoga - daily yoga - daily inhaling and exhaling love.
  • Watching the birds open my heart, being with the other beings.
    -I would love to start fostering dogs and helping them be in their truth until they find their people.
  • being with kids is a new fun for me, my most recent best friend is 5 and he has taught me so much and is helping me heal my inner child by being a kid with him.
4 Likes

A rather fascinating view. I suppose unskillful practice could certainly surface more suffering than dissolve, but I gather this isn’t quite what that person meant. There are many exaggerations for and against different practices. Rarely are they so odd as this one as to make it easy to identify and filter. I feel compassion for them while realizing the harm their view causes themselves and others. A very vulnerable community out there. I appreciate your sharing, and patience with social media phenomena.

Such interactions remind me of RD’s story about Maharaji, who would often tease or interrupt him while RD was ‘getting high’ on the practice. He would say ‘no easy highs’, then do or say something that was likely to trigger RD. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I worked in healthcare for years but found my ego too attached, and the work exhausting. So finally had to move into another role. I try to mix up my practice a bit, with research, reflection, meditation, and activities. It’s easy to expect too much, or get disenchanted when the usual habits return, but I do find the dharma provides a useful foundation for more resilience, patience, and wisdom on the path.

4 Likes

In reading and reflecting on people’s comments, one stuck in my mind and I wanted to share what was for me a subtle but ineffable aha for me many years back when listening to Huston Smith”s “The Worlds Religions”, which is a truly amazing book if you have the time for it. He said that Christianity, particularly in American culture, is essentially Bhakti. That for me was really helpful in coming to terms with my Christian upbringing and trying to square it with my yearning to find meaning and place with that while also recognizing it didn’t speak to me as much as other spiritual pursuits I had discovered as an adult. Just something to ponder…

3 Likes

Love this, Travis! And I so dig the perspective of the trigger - that is SO how this functioned with me. And with time and breath and memory (not to mention loving awareness :melting_face:), I can come into seeing this as part of the Lila, the Divine Play.

2 Likes