How do you run your sangha?

Hello everyone! I’m curious how you set up your schedules when you have local satsangs?

I’ve been at some before that schedule it this way:
SCHEDULE A:

• 30min arrival window, mingling, chai
  • then say grace and share a potluck meal
  • migrate to the kirtan room to chant for an hour or so
  • mingle and chat after kirtan, then folks slowly head home

While others have been schedule this way:
SCHEDULE B:

• 30min arrival window, mingling, chai
  • Introductions around the room
  • Listen to a Ram Dass Meditation & sometimes a short Ram Dass talk
  • Discuss
  • Kirtan
  • Potluck to end (some people stay for potluck, some leave)

I find Schedule A works well for large groups and Schedule B works well for smaller groups. I don’t really think there is a “right” or “wrong” way to do it, and you have apparent pros and cons to both.

I’m mostly just curious, when you host or attend local satsangs, how do you typically schedule things out?

4 Likes

Hi Mangala,
We have a Sangha here in Nevada City, California two Fridays per month. So far it’s small with between 8 and 12 people. We have a 20 minute arrival time when we play special music from East Forest/Ram Dass, Krishna Das, etc; Then, right at 7 we have a half-hour recorded talk by Ram Dass, then a 20 minute silent meditation, and then we have personal sharing, chai and “prasad” or snacks that people bring. It’s fairly new as of May, 2023 so we’re slowly evolving and becoming into a beautiful & sweet entity :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing Jaspen! That sounds so lovely, and a bit similar to how my current local satsang functions :slight_smile:
Wishing you and your community all the best as you continue to grow!

1 Like