šŸ“– Day 13 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - EATING

I love this opportunity to use mealtimes as a chance to become closer to God. So much reflecting to do hereā€¦ Iā€™d never thought about seeing the food itself as God, and the agni as well. This lesson really made things click for me. I also really want to create the habit of using mantra and blessing my food as Iā€™m making it, this is such a powerful practice for not only my own benefit but those who Iā€™m feeding! I work in a restaurant so I have so many opportunities to bless the food Iā€™m handing out (which is also vegan, so it already feels wonderful to share)ā€¦ thank you everyone, I loved reading your reflections :hearts:

5 Likes

I guess if I thought of eating food as a kind of consecration, I might not be quite as quick to
give in to every craving. Eating has been a difficult part of my life, in that once I reached menopause, I developed irritable bowel syndrome, could no longer digest dairy, beans, wheat, corn, and my careful vegetarian diet had to come to an end.

So I have been mindful of my eating habits and often remember to give thanks to everything that has gone into the food I am eating. A song from Sufi camp really helped with that practice.

I still have some problems, but not as many and if I began thinking about transforming the food into energy for all aspects of my life, rather than just my body, it would probably be easier to resist temptation to eat my anger, as I did today after an unsuccesful attempt to seek justice. I doubt that I would have eaten in the same way if consecrating my food had been uppermost in my mind. I would have eaten the same thing, but not then.

I will remember to practice this consecration of my food, while shopping, preparing and cooking. I do often chant, either out loud or silently as I cook and sometimes have very pointedly blessed the food as I prepare it. I would like that to become a habit. Thanks again, for this course and all the discussions and ideas and recordings!

2 Likes

Cooking has always been a form of meditation for me. Getting to sit down and actually enjoy my meal has been something I have been bringing more into my life. As a bartender, I hardly get to eat when I am working, and I am starving when I get home. I, however, have been rearranging my schedule to practice eating before work so I am more mindful of what and how much I am eating. I really like this concept of eating to give you energy, aka life.

4 Likes

This is such a struggle for me to maintain as a consistent practice. This also has always shown me what an incredible attachment the eating process has been to me. Itā€™s not about the food itself. Food is just food but the clinging to the way eating makes me feel has been one of those persistent traps of my life.

If I could truly maintain the sense of consecration as I ate, I know that I would eat less overall but also less of the type of food that does nothing worthwhile for my body. Why would I want to pour processed food and sugar-filled junk into god? I know that if I could stay aware during meal time I wouldnā€™t abuse god in that way. My eating would be more about loving and maintaining and building this incarnation into human life.

8 Likes

My prayers and thankfulness for food especially before dinner has sometimes become perfunctory and not nearly as present. This teaching was overall a good reminder for me. Meals all too easily does become a more of a checklist item instead of yet another opportunity to experience the Divine in every aspect.

3 Likes

Having been raised by a Japanese mother for whom feeding was her way of expressing love and care, food has always been a very central part of my life and education. However, all of her kids developed an eating disorder in their teens, as food was mistaken for love. Now, until today I do have a very contradictory relationship with food. And even though I have been in various meditation (and other) retreats, practice mindfulness in my daily life - food is still a big trigger for me. I am very grateful that this topic came up in this course and I read every post here. I was listening to this audio piece several times. Also, thank you @Zac_Townsend for your very sweet reports on this.

9 Likes

Somehow it comes easier for me to prepare food for others with a loving mindfulness then to practice mindfulness in the way that I myself consume food. This is something I will focus on more- the consecration of my own food and the act of god going into god. I enjoyed reading everyoneā€™s take on this segment and was surprised how many others want to work on this aspect of awareness and devotion.

6 Likes

Never thought about folks that work in restaurants could pass out blessings left and right. Think about how much light you could bring into the world doing that. :exploding_head:

Iā€™ve been getting in the habit of blessing my food, but now Iā€™m going to start doing that for the family when I cook!

7 Likes

Yes, I love that! itā€™s so fun, I donā€™t always remember to do it but when I do it feels powerfulā€¦ I love working with customers though and truly looking into their eyes, connecting with them. I like to think these interactions brighten their days, they sure brighten mine

2 Likes

Hello beautiful people :open_hands:t3:

Itā€™s fascinating because I 99% of the time as well my dog Baby ā€¦

He knows already that I first bless and pray offer his food and he get feedā€¦

What really caught my attention here was saying a mantra &/or being conscious of my thought process as I prepare the food :shallow_pan_of_food:ā€¦

Another beautiful nugget I will implement into my dailyā€¦ As I now understand how sacred my temple and my state of mind will reflect my nutritionā€¦:two_hearts:

:pray:t4:

1 Like

This topic reminded me of the raisin meditation, where you pick up a raisin and study it. Really look at it. Noticing the texture. Then smell it. Before putting it in your mouth. Donā€™t chew it, just observe how the mouth starts to feel with the raisin in it. Notice how the juices start going. Then chew it. Slowly. The flavour is amazing when you really slow things down like this.

1 Like

I really appreciate this Zac - the transformative way this landed for youā€¦ thank you for sharing. - I am curious how it will go. (I am a bit behind so I just heard the clip and will be sharing my response to the prompt down below)

1 Like

I first learned this from Thich Nhat Hanh in his book on anger - and the idea of what we consume that feeds our anger and other emotions - your writing is reminding me of that mindfulness - I sometimes lose with social media and TV - till it is too late and I am ā€œcaughtā€ and fueled my desires and even my suffering. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

a big awakening for me many years ago was that my body is ā€“ a temple for the living spirit - and that changed how I saw food and exercise (for awhile!) - I think our relationships to our bodies also reflect our level of self love and compassion too so I see the practices and the awareness you describe here as growing in self compassion and love

I became a vegetarian a long time ago (in my 20s and I am 60) and it came out of a revulsion to meat - perhaps pointing to past life? I have not had red meat since but have eaten fish eggs chicken and turkey at various times depending on my health and needs - the COVID vaccine did weird things to my blood sugar and I started eating chicken againā€¦ but after turning 60 March 8 I came back from a trip and I have been vegan since. No eggs even. Oh I did have a little tuna so not quite veganā€¦ I feel so much lighterā€¦ and this time it really feels different - thereā€™s a clarity like I am coming out of a fogā€¦ tho I am very grateful for the nourishment from the chicken and turkey I consumed the last two yearsā€¦ I felt at one with these beings - I really needed their strength and felt the onenessā€¦ but now I am grateful not to consume animals and RD reminds me of the violence in that consumption tooā€¦ I love eating vegetables and nutsā€¦ it is easy to be mindful when I eat now because I really feel the life energy especially in raw foodā€¦ but also supplements - green shakeā€¦ Mushroom powderā€¦ I am not saying that I am good because I dont consume meat I am saying that I feel different and that is good

The mantra and the mindfulness in cooking is not something I have been practicing and with eating since I am alone I often need to listen to something or watch TV - I appreciated what one person said is I learned food was love when My mom made meals for me so if I am alone the reminder for me now is about self love - pouring god into godā€¦ also means love into me.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I will check out the book. I like thinking of anger like a baby :baby: when I saw this :Thich Nhat Hanh, interview Part 1 | Ram Dass Channel - YouTube

Also interesting how Marshall Rosenberg uses anger as something precious because it alerts us to unmet needs. :pray: :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a reference or link to any online content for Marshal Rosenbergā€™s approach to anger? I participate in another subgroup with a few clinicians and professors; one is writing a book. We are discussing anger at our next subjectā€¦
Would be useful to get their view, and their list of citations.

Metta

He wrote this book Nonviolent Communication. I couldnā€™t find the link I was looking for, but a ton of stuff on youtube about it. Makes a lot of sense!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Seems to be an approach that is using anger as an anchor to investigate oneā€™s needs and develop compassion towards both oneself and others. Very insightful. I will definitely start to include this in my practice. Very subtle stuffā€¦

A few quotes to share:

Rosenberg states that, ā€œAnger is the result of life-alienating ways of evaluating what is happening to us.ā€ Separating the trigger of our anger from the cause of our anger is the first step toward creating a new relationship with anger that decreases the harm we cause to ourselves and to others.

Source: GoodTherapy | Empowerment Through Anger: The Tools of Non...

According to Dr. Rosenberg, anger means we are disconnected from our needs. He taught us that anger is one of the four emotions that are disconnected from needs because of what we are telling ourselves. (The other three are shame, guilt, and depression).

Source: https://www.nonviolentcommunication.com/learn-nonviolent-communication/nvc-anger/

As we learn to focus our attention on how we can meet these needs we can begin to connect at that place within us where we are all essentially the same. This process helps us cultivate deep listening, respect, and empathy, which engenders a mutual desire to give from the heart, and allows our natural compassion to flourish.

• Step 1: Think of anger as a red light on your dashboard.
  • Step 2: Look clearly at what happened.
  • Step 3: Take responsibility for how you feel.
  • Step 4: ā€œName the blameā€ and get clear about what you feel.
  • Step 5: Determine your need.
  • Step 6: Find the do behind the donā€™t
  • Step 7: Think of a clear action request.
  • Step 8: Name their feelings and needs.
  • Step 9: Decide whose need you will talk about first.
  • Step 10: Now start talking.

Source: Ten Steps that Transform Anger into Compassionate Connection - The Natural Child Project

2 Likes

Hi Louisa, Your raisin meditation reminds me of our dream class teacher who had us do the same thing with one oatmeal grain - untoasted or salted, just a plain oatmeal grain. Deliciousā€¦ Thanks for the memory and your share!

Oatmeal! I shall try that. You are welcome. Thank you for your share, too.

1 Like