šŸ“– Day 7 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - JNANA (The Rational Mind)

I suppose my response will partially includes some insights from the sangha, above.
Thomas Kuhnā€™s book ā€˜scientific revolutionsā€™ has helped me understand how civilization has often jumped from Point A to C. A jump across the chasm of deterministic known linear knowledge. A paradigm shift. These are common, but rarely transformative. Leveraging these shifts in paradigms to benefit humanity requires society to recognize the value of the new paradigm and actualize it.

To me, it seems that paradoxā€™s (to paraphrase above conversations) are a view of the mind. People are walking paradoxes (scuse the simplification). Opinion one moment changes the next. And its not inconsitency, dishonesty, loss of memory, or deception. Opinions change based on the context, question, mood, clarity, information, etc. Yet, on superficial non contemplative consideration, we are often surprised when people, government, organizations, groups ā€˜appear inconsistentā€™. Itā€™s because we arenā€™t ourselves being contemplative. We arenā€™t paying attention. Information is limited. Our mind is reacting, forming an incomplete impression, and then moving on to the next moment.

Paradoxes are perceived when understanding is missing. For me, it seems that to move beyond the illusion of any paradoxes existing we reqiuire mindfulness, concentration, information, and wisdom.

For example: The paradox of ā€˜espousedā€™ vs ā€˜heldā€™ beliefs is all too common. Others claim to hold one value and we do something else. Media in particular makes milliions selling us sound bites and clickbate pushing this illusion to us. The notion of inconsistency (lack of information, etc.) is a construction of the mind, realizingā€¦people, xyz, also lie (which is a bit different than what I am discussing here).

Mindfulness helps move beyond the minds view of a non reconcilable paradox.

Example: I hold an opinion. I concentrate on a counter point, and contemplate mindfully. Slowing the mind, thoughts, reactivity. Just really sitting with it. Less doing and more being. Two apparently discrepant points of information later join to form a larger understanding.

Solutions to some of the worlds most complex and sticky problems have been solved by ignoring the constraints and assumptions imposed on the problem (and rethinking operational definitions). Paradoxes are solved the same way. Not by rejecting the thinking brain (which is not singular), but by embracing the whole system more mindfully.

The only reason why innovation, growth, wisdom, and change occurs is becomes everything is impermanent. Without paradigm shifts (or the appearance of paradoxes) and community (including the sangha), change, insight, wisdom, and progress might rarely occur. Mindfulness and meditation can help bridge the gap, integrating internal and external insights.

Cool stuffā€¦

1 Like

Hello beautiful people :raising_hand_woman:t3:

This BLEW my mindā€¦ :exploding_head:

To use the rational mind to assist in Detaching from the MINDšŸ¤Æ

WOWā€¦

I been practicing not quite there yetā€¦ I get lost in the MIND & the sensesā€¦.

I have experienced witnessing this
:point_right:t4:ā€œ :raising_hand_woman:t3:I ā€œ :point_left:
think, respond, suppress and fall into rainbows :rainbow: and darknessā€¦ I became my OWN studyā€¦. However, i had not done this JNANA yogaā€¦ Well in the practice as of now.

this EXCITES meā€¦.

I can foresee this divine LIBERATIONā€¦

Ram Das has such a powerful PRESENCE in this practice and study. I feel his divine guidanceā€¦

AdrianašŸŽˆ

3 Likes