šŸ“– Day 8 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - STUDY

One of my favorites is ā€œI Am Thatā€ Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and here are the quotes from the front of the book:

"Give up all questions except one: ā€œWho am I?ā€ After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The ā€œI amā€ is certain. The ā€œI am thisā€ is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.

To know what you are, you must first investigate and know what you are not.

Discover all that you are not: body, feelings,thoughts, time, space, this or that; nothing, concrete or abstract, which you perceive can be you. The very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive.

The clearer you understand that on the level of mind you can be described in negative terms only, the quicker you will come to the end of your search and realize that you are the limitless being.

7 Likes

:pray: itā€™s a pleasure

Once I spent some days just rewriting John O Donohueā€™s words. I wanted to literally ā€˜incorporateā€™ them. Heā€™s such a wonderful resource.
Although I have listened to Ram Dassā€™ recordings on and off over the years, this course is my proper introductiin to his workā€¦ I am getting the feeling ill be rewriting his words too!

3 Likes

I really appreciate everyone sharing the books that have helped them along their path! Iā€™ve only really read Ram Dass, and I canā€™t wait to venture further!

Iā€™ve really been enjoying studying a little bit each morning. I keep Polishing the Mirror, Be Here Now, and Be Love Now nearby with a photo of Ram Dass. One of my favorite things to do is just open to a random passage and read whatever is brought to me. There is always a connection made throughout the day that brings me back into my practice. I also enjoy using angel cards, just meaningful single words to reflect on. I look forward to diving into some further spiritual readings!

One of my favorite Be Here Now pages: ā€œYouā€™re standing on a bridge watching yourself go by. Wow, look at that!ā€

4 Likes

I think Alan Watts will be next on my reading list, I look forward to getting to know his work more. Thank you for sharing, this looks like a good one for me!

3 Likes

Wow - Iā€™d be interested to know what came up for you? Did you literally rewrite, word for word, or was there some creative licence in there?

2 Likes

Yes, I rewrote parts of Anam Cara word for word. I find something quite meditative about that process. And soothing.
Itā€™s a way for me to access my essential self when I am feeling fearful and anxious about a situation in my life. In the moments when focusing on my breath or being in silence is a little too much for me. Sometimes reading the eords can be enough, but sometimes I need it to go deeper.
Thanks for asking me this. I hadnā€™t realised how important this practice was for me.

5 Likes

Hi there, I responded to this, but I seem to have done it in the main chat by accident. Please see below!!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I love the sound of it. Itā€™s a form of meditation in itself - anything that helps us connect with the teachings on a deeper level.

2 Likes

I love this. Thank you for sharing it. Such a great reminder. The gita really is amazing!

1 Like

What a great practice! I love this. And such a great quote!

2 Likes

I love this idea! What a great way to ā€œingestā€ them into yourself. Thank you for sharing with us!!

1 Like

I love this idea! What a great way to ā€œingestā€ them into yourself. Thank you for sharing with us!!

2 Likes

Love this! It reminds me of the ā€œneti netiā€ practice. Not this, not this. Until we come back to that true sources. Thank you for this great reminder this morning.

1 Like

YES!!! I may need to print this and hang it on my wall (and heart)! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

One of my favorites!!!

ā€œHanging out with my buddiesā€ really resonated with me. I start my days with Richard Rohr and like to visit with other ā€œfriendsā€ regularly - those friends include Pema Chodron, Thit Nhat Hanh, Francis and Clare, oh, and letā€™s not forget Ram Dass!

3 Likes

I loved that part too! They really are my buddies, theyā€™ve kept me company and been a source of inspiration and comfort. I like the idea of starting my day off with reading a sentence or two from a spiritual book and then letting it wash over me and chew on it the entire day. I think it makes a difference in my day, my day is more positive and more compassion flows.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too! Pema C and Rumi are my current best buds, and I will always keep the Tao somewhere close by for emergencies!

1 Like

Arenā€™t those sentences sort of like a thread that sets a lovely undertone to the day, and can pull it all together. They can become the cental thoughts outweighing others. I love when that happens.

2 Likes