Finding Community

@Louisa_Flynn
As far as the gossip and other chatter that seems so inane I feel your pain. I have had a little perspective change on it, however. I used to just shut up and slide away feeling , admittedly, a wee bit superior (we’ve all fallen into that, I think, occasionally) but now I hang out and stay mostly quiet or divert the conversation a bit when it comes to someone looking to me. But what has changed more is that I just smile and realize that’s just what people do. I’ve done it. We’ve all done it to some degree and I just try to a sept all the participants and just where they are and just where any of us is is the only place we can be. It makes the situations a little easier. People don’t see my as thinking I’m better than them or stand-offish but they also see I am not someone eager to bad-mouth others. I think people actually like me more in that position than if I did engage with the gossip. It feels better to me as well.

2 Likes

I hear you. Staying quiet all the way, what else is there to do when ‘do no harm’ is a motto, a mantra.

1 Like

I get that Jeremy. I am a Yoga teacher so that has given me some like minded souls to share this crazy dream with in Detroit. But now I live in rural NC and it’s been difficult to find community here. my online students have been helpful as they have become close friends during the pandemic. I’m hoping to meet new friends here. Being involved with online spiritual entrepenuer communities since my move has also been a Godsend! Let’s do this, y’all. Lynne

2 Likes

Hi @Jeremy! Thanks for sharing and bringing up this topic. One thought I have is that you could check out Meetup.com or a similar site. It can be a little awkward getting to know people entirely from scratch by joining or creating a small group, but it can also be exciting. I thought that Meetups was a thing of the past until I went on recently and saw that there are actually a TON of groups of all types in my area (Northern CO). If there’s not a group that fits your aim, you could start one.

I’m currently part of a virtual online community as I’m in certification with the Enneagram. But I’m hoping that I’ll be able to find some local/regional in-person gatherings when this ends.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea. I haven’t used that in years and then for hiking groups. I wouldn’t have even thought of it now. Thanks.

@Claudia_Gassner It may not be the same part of southern Germany that you’re in but I wanted to make sure you knew about the Neem Karoli Baba ashram in Neu-Ulm!

3 Likes

Oh :heart_eyes:
The Ashram actually isn’t far from where I’m located! Thank you so much. I really didn’t know about it! :pray:

2 Likes

So funny, I’m German too. And this place is new to me. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Hi Jeremy - have you looked for local Satsang on the LSRF/Ram Dass.org website? I have just started a Vermont local Satsang because no one was doing one here. It was a big leap because I am fairly new to RD but with Jackie’s support I started one this year and we had two zoom meetings. There are several people who live very local to me it turns out so I also hope to meet in person. Vermont is a small state. People here are spiritual and I think Ram Dass fits in here well due to his being non religious and eclectic. But I do find here there is resistance to anything that seems religious in nature unless one actually is still a member of a traditional religion. I live in a small town and have been very isolated so the online Ram Dass fellowships have really helped me during the pandemic.

4 Likes

Where are you located Nina?

The nearest is about 60 miles away. Starting one as you did could be an option at some point in the future.

well that’s closer than any near me - are you sure they dont do anything on zoom? yes ultimately we have to create it … I gather!

Nothing closer as per LSRF site. To be honest, the pandemic gave me enough Zoom for a lifetime. I strongly prefer in-person.

Berlin :slight_smile: you are in Munich?

Mehr zwischen Augsburg und Ulm

oh I am so grateful for zooms I live alone… and yes it is not as good was in person but in rural VT I have not found much in person stuff … for instance today I did an online grief group with Living Dying Project (Ram Dev) - which is awesome and tonite I have the LSRF Women;s Satsang yay!!

3 Likes

I am new to this spiritual path so I feel like I am on an adventure with no guide. Sometimes it is exciting, sometimes i am lost and sometimes it is a dark place. I crave a community where i can find mentors or teachers.
This is the only community i have right now. I am searching for something local but i am not sure how to look. Many of the retreats in my area are fancy, expensive health-wellness focused and i feel all the extras add to the noise.

4 Likes

I’m glad you have that. That Ram Dev one sounds good. I did a lot of thinking today of how I’d want to prepare for death if I knew I was close. lol. Probably just this fever-thinking but a worthwhile practice.

1 Like

Did you look in the satsang finder on the LSRF site? Maybe you have something nearby.

I find myself repeating the manta, it’s okay to be done. If that means anything to you, I am sorry, and you are loved. My communities seem to self-destruct at the slightest scrutiny…