{Ram Dass/Alan Watts Week 1: Day 2} Sense of Seperation

This week both Ram Dass and Alan discuss this idea of separateness and how it is part of the whole, part of creation, not an accident.

How might it change the way you live to recognize this feeling of separateness is not in your control?

2 Likes

I cant join, seems the timing is such that everything ā€˜liveā€™ is midnight in CET time. Will everything be recorded and put online here?

2 Likes

Yā€™know, in some sense we need to be able to see quite clearly, quite naturally, in a principled sort of way, how anything is potentially in service to life. Conceptually, a ā€œfeeling of separatenessā€ ā€œnot beingā€ ā€œin your controlā€ forces you to see the institution of ā€œseparatenessā€ as being in service to the individual/potentially optimal/a fitting vehicle of Boundlessnessā€¦as we are hardwired to seek pleasurable states, and sustain them.

Essentially in doing these mental gymnastics, you come into a sense of once again being ā€œin controlā€ through some sort of re-orientation of your mental schisms.

Separateness is cool. It allows the cultivation of the identity and all of your various skillsetsā€¦these are the very things you use as a form of personal expressionā€¦they are you, but they are all utterances of the same crude uttering that all things in all moments are expressing in their own fashion, witting or unwittingly. In doing them you come to know yourself, and step far outside of yourselfā€¦it is the dance, separateness to transcendenceā€¦

However, there are clearly intolerable states, akin to nausea, and there are takes on ā€œseparatenessā€ which can not be utterly purged/reclaimed in the name of the Singularityā€¦at least without fortitude. I think when faced with such a situation you strongly combat this sense of problematic separateness with both a sense that separateness has its riches, as well as that all-pervasiveness is an undeniable characteristic of consciousness ā€¦ or you smash like a 12 pack of twinkies and slip into a warm state of nearly ineffable faith, utterly convinced that for some reason this is communion with the great protector and that the winds will soon bring resolutionsā€¦

4 Likes

In smashing our twelve pack of twinkies with ineffable faith, are we not releasing our attachment to a concept of self and separateness? We let go of the ā€œIā€ and slip into a state of consciousness of interbeing? Ahhhhh. I love this :pray:

4 Likes

I really resonated with the comments about the uptuned V. in fact years ago when I had an epiphany this symbol was shown to me in both versions the regular ā€œVā€ and the upturned ā€œAā€ minus the cross through he middle. I didnā€™t understand completely what it meant back although I recognised the ā€œAā€ as being the right way versus the ā€œVā€. Anyway just thought Iā€™d share that. The story is much more involved of course. Peace X

1 Like

Itā€™s helped me let go of my models at an exponential rate. I donā€™t have much conscious thought that Iā€™m going to let go of models and redraw the maps of who I am and what Iā€™m about, it just happens and I realize it afterward. This, in turn, has helped overcoming obstacles and adversity because Iā€™m no longer identified with that which changes, but that which remains throughout all the changes. It can also be a very slippery slope into the doldrums of the spiritual path when one truly comes to realize that one is alone, just playing all the myriad forms including the one whom comes to realization. Itā€™s quite a tightrope sometimes, this path, but no other way is worth it.

2 Likes