{Ram Dass/Alan Watts Week 2} Thursday practicum connection

Please continue any conversations from this week’s community practicum here…

3 Likes

Well, today’s call was certainly a worthwhile way to spend 80 minutes, to say the least! Thanks everyone for sharing and listening in the breakout room, as well as in the larger forum afterward. And Swap, thanks again for running the show so smoothly, sharing your wise insights and your spirit music talents. That harmonium is awesome with you playing it!

Money and livelihood can be so complicated for many of us, but does it have to be that way? Spending time with the wise teachings and on the meditation cushion has been shining a light on a much more equanimous way for me…so, back to the teachings and the cushion!

May you, I, and all beings be happy, safe, healthy, peaceful, and at ease. :lotus::person_in_lotus_position:t2::heart:

6 Likes

Wow :astonished: what a beautiful session! Everyone I have spoken to seems to be at many different posts in life, but have all shared my love for my guru. It’s wonderful. I hope we can all talk on the topic of lineage, in the spiritual sense, with everyone taking teachings from different schools it gets intensely interesting and ngl I really needed this Satsang with my fellow travelers. :heart::pray::thinking:

7 Likes

Swap is amazing. Thanks wes you always have great things to say! Namaste and love to you as well my friend :heart:

1 Like

Thanks for being there Wes. Was great deepening into the teachings today. I’m happy to serve however I can!

Enjoy your time with the teachings and on the cushion my friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are all threads in this beautifully interwoven blanket and how special to come together and share from our unique perspectives! Thanks for being together today brother :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for a wonderful call today!

There were a few great topics that we couldn’t quite get to. I will share some questions and discussion points from the chat, and everyone please feel free to keep the conversation going here :slight_smile:

Lots of Love to you all

4 Likes

I wouldn’t miss it for the world! This is truly like really good stew for the Bhakti in training! Man that was a beautiful chant. I can still feel all this excess, free, spillover energy from our coming together! I hope you do too, Bhai. Your light shines with no shade. I was told that when you get the same answer for every problem, you might be a devotee!!! Lol. Thank you for allowing your being to guide us. :heart:

2 Likes

Idk if this is useful but we have talked a lot about taking your heartfulness into the workplace, etc . I just had a random Ram Dass talk playing and he said the best way to be here fully in the new moment is to practice being here fully now. That we do violence to the present moment when we aren’t looking at it from the heart-mind space we are in in meditation or presence. This is all paraphrased but he once spoke of it like a Mani wheel. If you’ve touched this dimension of love, it’s always spinning but it may be spinning slowly (the inner mantra) because of our attachment, but through practice we give it a good hard spin every now and then. Eventually you feel that place even when you are freaking or triggered. You say "wow! Look how bad he lost it this time!) But if you are on the path you’ll find it very hard to completely forget. My best advice upon reflection is to keep bringing yourself back to this moment. That’s the practice that keeps us all here when the fire comes. Be gentle with the self you are investing. To God it’s all absolutely perfect and lawful. This is genuinely the inner curriculum, as is everything else to the awakening being. Grist for the mill. To me, if I get crazy about something, the guru is showing me where my preference keeps bouncing off my model. Where are we clinging? If washing a dish can get you high, surely our role and responsibilities can too, if we keep letting go from that place and make it an offering to God! :heart:

6 Likes

Guys there was a major topic that we just barely touched on that I’d love to explore more here in this chat if we can …

How does play fit into work and spirit?

I find I’m better at almost everything I do, and I do things more consciously when I’m joyful and at play! Being fun and silly is one of the most beneficial states of being for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Joy lightens our load (stress), and since it’s insanely infectious, one person’s joy can enhance an entire work environment. Play also sparks creativity, so it makes us more productive and more innovative. It improves mental health, disposition, outlook, self-perception, even physical health.

As for how play and spirit interact, I think it’s a synergistic process: Nurturing our spirit naturally invokes joy/play, and nurturing our sense of play nourishes our spirit.

3 Likes

I have deeply enjoyed contemplating the separation of work and spirit. Dissolving that separation is divine and reveals where I can show up more fully in each working moment. Bringing play into it sounds delightful.

I really enjoyed the story that someone told yesterday (I think her names starts with a D?) about how when she was a child she remembered how odd it struck her when she would listen to adults meeting one another, and their first question always seemed to be, what do you do?

I think play can be brought into work settings by taking the time to ask fun questions, and stay curious about your work companions and see them as full human beings aligned with a common goal at work, but also sharing so many other goals of living a fulfilling life and day. What if every meeting included a few minutes of playful conversation, how might that change how we show up?

4 Likes

It’s joyful to do things with a playful mind. I think it’s the heart space we all share that colors all the different situations. If the heart is open, it seems to quiet the mind enough to truly just dance and explore!

2 Likes

Great reflection and a great idea for making boring situations more playful! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Totally agree. It takes one spark of joy to light up a whole room and the benefits are certainly endless.
Beautifully said of the synergistic process. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Hi Everybody
I just watched the replay and it was great. A bit off topic maybe but I found Swap’s story about Ram Dass and his portrait of D.Trump very moving and important. It made me think of this lecture by Alan Watts which I’ve found just recently and which I found very powerful.
Thank you all.

4 Likes